Day 1 - First evening at the dormitory

Dormitory

Evening of the first day

When I got to the dormitory on the first day it was already dark out. Walking to the dorm I saw this very cute tiny car.

TINY BLUE CAR
I checked into the dorm, single room on the first floor. None of the dormitory staff speak English and are much older than the current students. The women who live in the dorm as hostel mothers are known as the "Babushkas". This literally translates to grandmother in Russian.

My first evening I bought some food at the corner store and I learnt some of my first Russian words, how to ask for a bag at the grocery store.

Noun

паке́т (pakét) m inan (genitive паке́та, nominative plural паке́ты, genitive plural паке́тов)

small bag, parcel

MY DORM ROOM

I had made sure to at least pack a travel cup, a spoon, some travel coffees etc from home to make sure that the first night I am at the dormitory that I would at least be able to make some coffee for myself. Our orientation sessions into HSE and Russia would start early the next morning.


KITCHEN SIGN

DINING AREA


Here is the kitchen area. It took me a day or so to figure out that the kitchen had an actual machine plugged in in the corner there that provides you with hot water for coffee. So here I was on the first evening sitting in the really quiet kitchen boiling water in a pan I found so I can make an instant coffee.


THE KITCHEN AREA

ME BOILING WATER FOR COFFEE

Dorm Room Later

This was my dorm room the next morning after I have settled in a bit

Dorm Room


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 99 - Yandex / Яндекс RU

Landing in Moscow DME

Day 2 - Moscow orientation